Weekly Journal 8

Camille Velez

     For yoga, there is no one actual definition of yoga. The definition can vary, depending on the environment an individual is in. In the west, the definition of yoga is extremely different from the east. Here in the west, yoga is considered to be more beneficial in the physical aspect, and is viewed as a method of exercise. On the other hand, in the east, it has a deeper meaning. Yoga is considered to be away to connect with your higher self and gain a better understanding of your own body. Yoga in the west is more of a spiritual lifestyle which can take years, or even a lifetime. In addition, the practice space can vary too. Furthermore, when it comes to defining yoga within the practice space, it also varies. In the west, it is very common to go to yoga studio weekly and take classes with people. On the other hand, in India for instance (based on the Enlightened Up film), an individual who seeks more will have a one on one relationship with a mentor and shadow them for a long period of time. The intentions of practicing yoga really varies where you live. 

    Living here in the west, I feel that I truly only see the physical aspect of yoga. I feel that based on the connections made to this definition and yoga practice, I feel that the true meaning and intention of yoga is not really being practiced. Although in some classes I have heard of and experienced attempt to get into the deeper meaning of yoga, it spiritual meaning still gets pushed aside. I feel that here in the west, it's mainly about the physical benefits. Since I have taken this class and watched several different documentaries that show different perspectives on yoga, my own perspective has changed as well. In some cases, I have watched and completed yoga practices where the spiritual benefits are not even mentioned. However, once an individual explores the different definitions and origins of yoga, they are able to create their own definition of yoga. In addition, they are able to create their own meaningful connection, and are able to find the deeper meaning and find themselves. 

    This week, we completed a Sivananda yoga practice with Jenn, the Yoga Hive. This practice primarily focuses on yoga being defined as simply an exercise, which is another example of how yoga is viewed in the west. During this practice, we focused on breathing into the center of our bodies, and releasing any stress or tension within. I think that this practice was very interesting because many of us tend to not realize that we can have tension anywhere in our body from stress. When we are stressing, this causes tension in our body that can stay within us for long periods of time, resulting in making us extremely tense. This was beneficial to me because I constantly struggle with tense muscles, most especially with my neck and lower back. I really enjoyed this practice because I was able to release the tensions I had in my body. I liked how Jenn put an emphasis on taking care of ourselves mentally and physically. She emphasized being aware of what we consume too. I think that was a great reminder to always set some time for myself. I liked how she gave different perspectives with each pose we did, because I have never looked at it that way before. It was an additional perspective that I have on yoga that I never realized.    

    As for my weekly yoga practices, I have been continuing doing daily yoga practices that deal with stress or tension relief, as it really helps me start my day. To conclude, I think that it is so important to try different yoga practices. Exploring and branching out to different ones help us open up our minds on the the varying perspectives, and helps us figure out our own individual definition of yoga, whether it be spiritually, mentally, or physically. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaPp5jr--xo


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekly Practice Journals (1)

Weekly Journal (2)

Weekly Journal (3)